VIRTUAL COMRADES – A ONCE IN A LIFETIME EXPERIENCE
Many, if not all of us, at some point in time watched Bruce Fordyce running into the stadium. For many this admiration was also the inspiration for his/her own Comrades. Others never ‘got to the start’.
Through the years the Comrades Marathon Association (CMA) came up with very inspiring slogans, like ‘Because we can, Getting to the start’ and many more. When the covid disaster also struck Comrades 2020, the event was cancelled, and a NEW race was born – The 2020 Race of Legends.
This inaugural virtual race hosted by the CMA, indeed saw 43778 entrants from 102 nations participating in one of the world’s biggest and most successful virtual races. Once again, in the spirit of Comrades negative was converted into a huge positive.
Having done several Comrades’ we were very excited to be part of this special event, starting just after midnight (00h01), within the boundaries of the complex where we spent lockdown. After many hours of ‘running’ short laps (due to curfew restrictions), our Strava records proofed that we achieved our goals. The effort was rewarded by the CMA”s message that came with the precious medal – ‘You are a legend’.
As the first Comrades was done in 1921, this centenary race would have commemorated the soldiers who perished in World War 1. However, in February 2021, the CMA had to take the sad, but brave step to cancel this important race once again. The special 2021 campaign slogan that was then chosen by the CMA is: ‘Ithemba – Hope is’.
This event once again promises to reach many thousands of people globally.
As a family we understand all the challenges involved in doing any form of Comrades, but also understand the very special camaraderie that is part and parcel of this special event. In the true spirit of Comrades, we are organizing the very 1st Klein Karoo Youth Day Virtual Comrades event where families can enter and do whatever distance they choose at a private nature reserve.
INVITATION FOR SUNDAY 13 JUNE 2021:
Athletes, aspiring athletes (all shapes, sizes, ages) come and spend a relaxed Saturday afternoon/evening and attempt your own virtual race on Sunday in the available 24 hours.
• Start and finish within the Destiny Private Nature Reserve 65km from Montagu (roadmap attached).
• Limited number rustic accommodation/tents. Free, but booking is essential. 1st come 1st served.
• Ample space for own tents.
• Huge bonfire.
• ‘Plaasdam’ to cool off after your own race??!!!
• Bring your own food, water, other beverages, and bedding.
• You have to provide your own seconding: vehicle, bicycle, motorbike or ‘donkiekar’
• Turning points along the route will be marked.
• Please note only limited MTN coverage.
• Covid rules will be adhered to.
• NB –You must do and pay your own entry registration as per attached Comrades instruction. Assistance can be provided on request. Please note fee structure. Fees go to several official charities according to CMA regulations. Please register by Friday, 11 June.
• Booking for the venue is essential. Closing date Monday 7 June. Contact: Elma du Plessis 081 4329504, 073 3149720 (whatsapp), firstname.lastname@example.org
or Toni van Houweninge 082 9636051, email@example.com.