Laurie Levine is best known for her fresh blend of Americana and folk music. The release of her new solo record, 'Canyons', brings with it a whole new sound and outlook. She has moved away from the acoustic terrain of country and folk into a lush world of electric guitars, beats, synths and spacious reverbs. 'Canyons' delves deep into the recesses of longing and nostalgia, with a burning hope as the undercurrent that gently washes through the record. Dark at times, introspective and pierced with a sublime beauty, the songs reverberate and shimmer with otherworldly elegance and intelligence. While some songs are intoxicating with ominous lyrics and black staccato beats, others glow with optimism and a rich lyricism that is bought home by the intimacy of Levine's vocal delivery.
Whether solo or with onstage collaborators, Levine has supported her releases with a slate of live performances that have cemented her standing as an artist of real power - and helped mark her out as a melodious, soulful singer capable of carrying emotion without any hint of histrionics.
These include performing at the World Economic Forum in Switzerland and opening for Rodriguez in London. She has also played at a number of Africa's premier music events and festivals, including Oppikoppi, the Joy of Jazz Festival, the FORR festival in Mozambique, the Grahamstown National Arts Festival, Mieliepop, Splashy Fen and the Lush. Levine was selected as the opening performer for international singer-songwriter Joe Jackson during his South African tour in 2008.
Levine is a prolific songwriter with a soulful voice that breathes life into her songs and embodies the emotional core of her lyrics. Her songs touch our unspoken corners and her sounds are a contemporary interpretation of true folk.
• Two South African Music Award (SAMA) nominations and 2012 SAMA winner for best producer for Dan Roberts
• Toured the UK November - December 2012 after signing with UK based Bob Paterson Agency (BPA) to rave reviews in Uncut, the Observer and other publications, with headline and key support slots.
• Second album "Living Room" in the top 10 albums of 2009 in The Sunday Times
• Won two Standard Bank Silver Ovation awards in 2011 & 2014 respectively for her performances at South Africa's biggest festival- the Grahamstown Arts festival
• Support act for Rodriguez, Kim Richey, Joe Jackson, Martin Stephenson
• Performed at the World Economic Forum in Switzerland and CBGB's in New York
• Has performed at South Africa's leading festivals - Oppikoppi, The Joy of Jazz Festival, Splashy Fen, The Old Mutual Emmarentia Concert Series, The Cape Town Folk N Acoustic Music Festival, Splashy Fen, Mieliepop, Lush, The White Mountain Folk Festival, FORR and many more.
• Her single, 'Tonight' was placed in the Defy TV ad campaign- 2011-2012, South Africa
• Her song, 'Every little thing' was placed in the Eskom TV ad (SA's power supplier)
On the 1st of every month, we send out our "Events Mailer", highlighting all the events taking place in and around Montagu for that month. Be sure to subscribe not to miss out on important events.