Coronation Double Century Race
Saturday, 26 November 2016The Coronation Double Century is an annual, 202 kilometre team cycle race that is limited to 250 teams, and takes place on 26 November 2016.
Participating teams can again look forward to starting and finishing in the picturesque town of Swellendam in the Western Cape. The familiar route will also see competing teams complete the most challenging climbs (the Tradouw Pass and Op de Tradouw) within the first 60 kilometres of the race.
From Swellendam, cyclists follow the R324 through Suurbraak and over Tradouw Pass towards Barrydale. A left turn onto the R62 leads them to the challenging 7 kilometre Op de Tradouw stretch, before making their way to Montagu. The route then snakes through Cogmanskloof towards Ashton and Robertson, before winding left onto the R317 towards Bonnievale, and finishing in Swellendam.
The cycling equivalent of an ultra-marathon, the Coronation Double Century is more than just a cycle race and all about camaraderie and team spirit. Above all, it is a hard race and participants need to have put in the necessary training to finish in comfort. Teams must reach the finish by 15h30 and there will be cut-off points along the route.
PLEASE NOTE: A section of our 2016 event route is under construction and as such an extended neutral zone will be implemented as a safety measure on the stretch of road between Montagu and the Team Support Zone in Ashton. A strict speed limit will be implemented and timing mats will be deployed at the start of the construction area and the Ashton Team Support Zone
MONTAGU COMMUNITY and Visitors to Montagu please also note:
* The R 62 Cogmans Pass will be closed for 4 hours: - 8:15 am - 12:00 pm
* Van Riebeeck Street - 8am - 11:30am
* Zandvliet Road, Ashton - 08h30 -12h30
* Emergency vehicles will have access to all roads in the case of an emergency.
* Road signage will be erected, resident knock and drop letters will be distributed closer to the time and local newspapers will be requested to have scheduled road closure times to notify as many commuters/residents as possible.
For full information on this event, you can visit: www.coronationdc.co.za